Often called the "Last Great Race on Earth," Alaska's Iditarod will provide the backdrop and inspiration for my summer adventure in writing. I will travel to Alaska--explore, examine, live, and breathe the Iditarod--and then share my discoveries through writing for my students and all those who travel along with me through this blog.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Finally Seeing Anchorage!



In exploring Anchorage, one of the biggest thrills for me was seeing 4th Street in downtown Anchorage, because that is where the Ceremonial Start of the Iditarod takes place the first Saturday in March.   I recognized some of the buildings from the photos I have seen of the races over the years, and it was just the greatest to stand on the very street where the race happens.  I could almost see snow and sleds, almost hear the dogs barking and straining as they are released to start the race.

Nearby, in a park,we saw a concert of native American dancers and singers.  They did a variety of performances from a creation story about how Alaska was plagued with mosquitos to songs about snowbirds.  Since these are typically performed in small places, the dancers' feet do not move.  All in all, eleven different cultures are in represented in Alaska, and it was great do be introduced to them in this colorful and memorable way.


Finally, we drove up into the mountains which are a little south of Anchorage.  It is hard to put into words how awesome they are--beautiful, grand, and picturesque.  As we got closer, we realized a few were glaciers!   I was totally unprepared to be face to face with their magnificence.  I wondered what it would be like to mush a team of dogs by such natural wonders.  I think then I began to start to comprehend a little of why The Iditarod mushers do what they do.

Tomorrow:  we meet the dogs!

2 comments:

  1. This is my new favorite blog! I can't wait to read the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. Your enthusiasm is contagious. So glad to know that Iditarod is the name of a ghost town on the route. Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete